The finest writing, photographic, imaging and production talent across the UK, the GCC region and beyond are represented in Journey to Makkah Opus, ensuring it will be the definitive tome on the Hajj.
The Official Journey to Makkah Opus will include essays from eminent Arabic scholars on the history of the Hajj, the Ka’bah, the Kiswah, the Zamzam Well and every aspect of the rituals of the pilgrimage. The sheer scale of the Opus differentiates it from any other publication.
- The Grand Mufti of Egypt, Sheikh Ali Gomaa
- The Grand Mufti of Jordan, Sheikh Noh Al-Quda
- Habib Omar Bin Hafith, founder and chairman of Dar Almustafa in Yemen
- Habib Ali Aljifri, founder of Tabah Foundation
- Dr Sami Angawi, specialist on the well of Zamzam,
- HRH Prince Ghazi bin Muhammad, personal envoy and special advisor to HM King Abdullah II of Jordan.
- Ilyasah Shabazz, daughter of the late Malcolm X and author of Growing Up X.
- Anisa Mehdi, producer and director of Inside Mecca.
- As well as contributions from eminent scholars and historians, The Official Journey to Makkah Opus will feature personal testimonies by Hajji from all walks of life. It will touch upon the deeply human aspect of the pilgrimage in an inclusive and as accessible way.
Opus is synonymous with outstanding photography. The Official Journey to Makkah Opus will reflect this through previously unpublished photographs that capture the profundity of the Hajj. The Official Journey To Makkah Opus will be a simple, unique and beautiful message of faith and of Islam. It will tell the story of the Hajj not simply because it needs to, but because it has to: on a grand and epic scale.
The Official Journey to Makkah Opus will utilise many of the thousands of images from the film ‘Journey to Mecca’, an IMAX dramatisation and documentary of the pioneering exploits of Ibn Battuta, the greatest explorer of the Old World, which traces the route of his first pilgrimage from Tangier to Makkah between 1325 and 1326.
Photography contributors will also include:
- Reem Al-Faisal, granddaughter of the late King Faisal of KSA
- Newsha Tavakolian, award-winning Iranian photographer
- Kazuyoshi Nomachi, award-winning Japanese photographer
- Abdul Ghafur Sheikh, National Geographic photojournalist
- Benjamin Lowy, award-winning New York-based photographer